Turkey escalating crimes in Syria since NATO summit, rights group says
Turkey’s military and its mercenaries have been escalating crimes committed against the people of north and east Syria since a NATO summit late last month, a human rights group said.
They are killing, kidnapping and displacing people from their homes and threatening to launch operations on the cities of Tel Rifaat and Manbij, the Human Rights Organization Afrin – Syria said, the ANHA Hawar news agency reported on Monday. They are also targeting civilians with drones, artillery and rockets, it said.
Turkish-led forces were not satisfied with occupying the areas of Afrin, Serêkaniyê and Gire Spi, but sought to take more territory and expand their colonial projects, said Ibrahim Sheikho, spokesman for the organisation.
Turkey is vowing to set up a ‘safe zone’ 30 kilometres inside Syria to protect its national security, but the region is only becoming safe for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan through the presence of leaders of ISIS mercenaries and other terrorists, Sheikho said.
"When it comes to the issue of the Kurds and the peoples of the region, the region becomes a threat to the Turkish state, but what the occupied areas witness from the presence of first-class elements and leaders of ISIS mercenaries and groups classified on the global "terror list" in them, the region becomes safe for Turkish President Erdoğan.”
All indications are that Turkey has obtained a green light during the NATO meeting to exterminate the Kurds, Sheikho said.
International organisations and countries should "not allow Turkey to launch aggression against north and east Syria, under any name, even if it is (humanitarian)," he said. They should also “stop crimes and violations” in areas of Syria occupied by Turkey, he said.