Saudi Prince says he is responsible since Khashoggi murder happened on his watch

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said he was ultimately responsible for the killing of Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi last year by Saudi operatives, according to a PBS documentary.

“It happened under my watch. I get all the responsibility, because it happened under my watch,” Salman was quoted as saying in a documentary on PBS’s Frontline series that is set to air on Oct. 1, a day before the first year anniversary of Khashoggi’s death.

But the prince, Saudi Arabia’s de facto ruler, has always blamed unnamed officials for acting without his knowledge.

"We have 20 million people. We have three million government employees," Salman said two months after the murder when asked how the killing could happen without him knowing about it, according to PBS.

Khashoggi, a vocal critic of the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2. Turkish authorities believe Khashoggi was killed by a 15-man Saudi squad sent from the kingdom. Saudi authorities say the men acted without authority. The journalist’s body has not been found.

Following the murder, the Turkish government said it had audio and video recordings that detailed Khashoggi’s killing. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, as well as several Western governments, blamed Prince Mohammed for the killing and Erdoğan said in November that Turkey had shared an audio recording of the killing with U.S. officials. 

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/mohammed-bin-salman-speaks-about-role-khashoggis-murder-first-time/