2013 Reyhanlı bombing suspect arrested after extradition from U.S.
Turkish police on Thursday arrested a suspect accused of playing a key role in the 2013 car bomb attack in the Turkish border town of Reyhanlı that killed 53 people, CNN Türk reported.
Mehmet Gezer was remanded into custody by a court in capital Ankara, it said, days after being extradited to Turkey from the United States.
Gezer is accused of the "deliberate killing" of tens of people and "destroying the unity of the state and the integrity of the country," it said, citing the Ankara court’s indictment.
A total of 53 people were killed on May 11, 2013, when two car bombs exploded in downtown Reyhanlı of southern Hatay province. This attack also devastated more than 900 houses and about 150 vehicles.
Yusuf Nazik, the main defendant in the Reyhanlı bombing case who was sentenced to life in prison in 2019, has confessed that he received the instruction to launch the attack from Gezer, Turkey’s Interior Ministry said last month.
Gezer was extradited from the United States and handed over to Turkish authorities upon arrival at the Istanbul Airport last month
Mehmet Gezer was extradited by the U.S. to Turkey and handed over to authorities after he arrived at Istanbul Airport last month.
In February 2018, nine people were sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of involvement in the Reyhanlı attack, and 13 others were jailed for between 10-15 years.